BJP manifesto is a hastily prepared "high school essay": Jairam Ramesh
New Delhi: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday said BJP`s manifesto is a hastily prepared "high school essay" prepared by "lifting" some of the portions from his own speeches and writings.
Describing BJP manifesto as a "deeply disappointing document", the Congress leader also alleged the programmes and initiatives that it talks about were initiated by the UPA Government.
"Finally, all I can say it is a great deal of personal satisfaction for me. Because there are some portions in the manifesto which somebody has lifted from my earlier speeches and writings," Ramesh said.
"For example, they talk about `Rurban India`-- the area which are rapidly urbanising. This I wrote almost 10 years ago...," the Rural Development Minister said.
BJP in its manifesto has promised that "through the idea of Rurban, we will bring urban amenities to our rural areas, while retaining the soul of the village".
In an interview to a foreign media in 2011, immediately after taking over the Rural Development Ministry portfolio, Ramesh had said, "India is rapidly urbanizing. I feel that it is fast becoming neither rural or urban, but a "Rurban" country."
The Minister said that for the last two to three years the Rural Development Ministry`s PURA programme has been "oriented towards the so called rurban areas."
"Overall, I think this is deeply disappointing document. It is actually a high school essay. If you ask me, it is not a manifesto...," Ramesh said.
Criticising BJP, he said that the delay in the release of manifesto "betrays policy confusion at the highest level" of BJP.
"It is clear that BJP is being pulled in different directions and they have not been able to arrive at a major consensus," he said.
Ramesh said that the BJP in its manifesto has made a number of promises and pledges on programmes that are already underway over the last 10 years and wondered whether the Opposition party was "sleeping like Kumbhkarn or they have chosen to ignore this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why