BJP manifesto is a hastily prepared "high school essay": Jairam Ramesh
New Delhi: Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Monday said BJP`s manifesto is a hastily prepared "high school essay" prepared by "lifting" some of the portions from his own speeches and writings.
Describing BJP manifesto as a "deeply disappointing document", the Congress leader also alleged the programmes and initiatives that it talks about were initiated by the UPA Government.
"Finally, all I can say it is a great deal of personal satisfaction for me. Because there are some portions in the manifesto which somebody has lifted from my earlier speeches and writings," Ramesh said.
"For example, they talk about `Rurban India`-- the area which are rapidly urbanising. This I wrote almost 10 years ago...," the Rural Development Minister said.
BJP in its manifesto has promised that "through the idea of Rurban, we will bring urban amenities to our rural areas, while retaining the soul of the village".
In an interview to a foreign media in 2011, immediately after taking over the Rural Development Ministry portfolio, Ramesh had said, "India is rapidly urbanizing. I feel that it is fast becoming neither rural or urban, but a "Rurban" country."
The Minister said that for the last two to three years the Rural Development Ministry`s PURA programme has been "oriented towards the so called rurban areas."
"Overall, I think this is deeply disappointing document. It is actually a high school essay. If you ask me, it is not a manifesto...," Ramesh said.
Criticising BJP, he said that the delay in the release of manifesto "betrays policy confusion at the highest level" of BJP.
"It is clear that BJP is being pulled in different directions and they have not been able to arrive at a major consensus," he said.
Ramesh said that the BJP in its manifesto has made a number of promises and pledges on programmes that are already underway over the last 10 years and wondered whether the Opposition party was "sleeping like Kumbhkarn or they have chosen to ignore this."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India