BJP misused government machinery to win polls: Congress
Ahmedabad: Opposition Congress in Gujarat on Tuesday accused BJP of "misusing" government machinery and spending crores of rupees to win the Lok Sabha elections at any cost.
"To win election by hook or crook, BJP spent crores of rupees and misused the government machinery. However, Congress workers stood firm against them and did a commendable job," Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia said in a release after the state Congress executive held a review meeting here to take stock of the party`s performance, a day after conclusion of nine-phase Lok Sabha elections.
Congratulating party workers and leaders for putting in their efforts during elections, Modhwadia said, "Congress will comfortably win on many seats in the state".
Senior Congress leader Shankersinh Vaghela and national spokesperson of the party Shaktisinh Gohil, along with several MLAs and MPs, attended the meeting.
The executive also passed a resolution asking the state government to roll back hike of 44 paise per unit in electricity, which was effected by a private firm recently.
The Congress alleged that the hike is akin to a "pay back" by the state chief minister Narendra Modi to corporate houses "for funding his poll campaign".
"Our CM spent crores on his marketing after being declared as a PM candidate.
That fund was given by corporates. It seems that CM is now reciprocating by gifting them the hike. Before the result are out, his (Modi`s) favoured businessmen have already started collecting money from people," the release quoted Modhwadia as saying.
"More than 1.5 crore citizens of Ahmedabad, Surat and Gandhinagar are affected by the hike in electricity charge. With this hike of 44 paise per unit, these users will have to shell out Rs 449 crore more every year.
Congress also demanded removal of various other surcharges on electricity.
"We also want the state government to provide subsidy to milk producing societies, so that people are spared from frequent price hikes in milk," Modhwadia said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended