BJP, Narendra Modi believe in divide and rule: Rahul Gandhi
Nagaon/Malda: Rahul Gandhi today accused the BJP and Narendra Modi of being divisive like the British Raj, while ridiculing its Gujarat model and also attacking the Mamata Banerjee government in Bengal for failing to take action against those accused in the Saradha scam.
"Like the British Raj the BJP and Modi also believe in the divide and rule policy. Modi goes to Maharashtra and instigates people there, women in Karnataka are beaten up," the Congress Vice-President said addressing election meetings in Assam and West Bengal.
Ridiculing the Gujarat model, he said giving away farm land at throwaway prices to an industrialist who made enormous profits selling it was the model touted by the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate.
"Modi sahab talks about his Gujarat model. What has he done? He deprived the poor farmers of their land to give away 35,000 acre of agricultural land to industrialist Adani at Rs one per metre," Gandhi said at an election meeting in Nagaon.
"Adani then sold the land at Rs 800 per metre. His industry grew from a Rs 3000 crore company to a Rs 40,000 crore company now just by selling farmers land at high cost and not through production. This he calls the Gujarat model," Gandhi said.
"A toffee sells at Rs one per piece here. If you give a toffee, the Gujarat government will give you one metre of land if you are Adani," the Congress leader said.
Targeting the Gujarat Chief Minister, he said, "Modi makes speeches that he will bring change to India. One person cannot bring change, but only the collective effort of crores of people can do it."
In West Bengal, Gandhi attacked the Mamata Banerjee government in the Saradha ponzi scam, and accused it of not taking action against those involved and instead trying to save them.
"The government here has not done anything for two years. 20 lakh people have been affected (by the scam)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why