BJP seeks re-poll on eight Amethi booths
Lucknow: Alleging irregularities, BJP candidate Smirit Irani is seeking re-poll in eight polling booths in Amethi constituency where she was pitted against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi.
An official said on Thursday that Smriti Irani had alleged bogus voting and intimidation of voters by Congress workers during the polling on Wednesday.
She also told reporters on Wednesday night in Amethi that her agents had said that people were influenced to vote for the Congress in these eight polling booths by Congress representatives.
A formal complaint was being sent to the Election Commission, a BJP leader told a news agency.
Rahul Gandhi, who has been elected from Amethi in 2004 and 2009, faced a strong challenge this time from both Smriti Irani and Kumar Vishwas of the Aam Aadmi Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India