Black flag hoisted in the office of the Mizoram Election dept
Aizawl: Major civil societies and student bodies hoisted a black flag in the office of the Mizoram Election department today in protest against the Election Commission of India`s decision allowing the Bru voters to exercise franchise inside the relief camps in Tripura.
The Bru voters were casting votes through postal ballots since yesterday for the election to Mizoram`s lone Lok Sabha seat to be held on April 9.
The civil societies said that the black flag hoisted at the office of the state election department would remain till Thursday evening when the polling in the relief camps would conclude.
Meanwhile, polling in the six relief camps in North Tripura district continued this morning and the polling was conducted by the Tripura state election department officials under the supervision of seven nodal officials from Mizoram, state joint chief electoral officer H. Lalengmawia said.
Civil societies here continued to protest the polling in the relief camps saying that they would obstruct counting of votes polled in the relief camps through postal ballots.
They wanted that all the Brus lodged in the relief camps should return to Mizoram and exercise franchise at the place where they were enrolled as voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- I respect martyrdom but you're trained to kill enemy, not to die - Manohar Parrikar told jawans
- Pampore attack: Did CRPF ignore specific intelligence input from Jammu and Kashmir Police?
- Euro 2016: Belgium beat Hungary 4-0 to reach quarterfinal as Yannick Carrasco scores final goal
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex