Black flag hoisted in the office of the Mizoram Election dept
Aizawl: Major civil societies and student bodies hoisted a black flag in the office of the Mizoram Election department today in protest against the Election Commission of India`s decision allowing the Bru voters to exercise franchise inside the relief camps in Tripura.
The Bru voters were casting votes through postal ballots since yesterday for the election to Mizoram`s lone Lok Sabha seat to be held on April 9.
The civil societies said that the black flag hoisted at the office of the state election department would remain till Thursday evening when the polling in the relief camps would conclude.
Meanwhile, polling in the six relief camps in North Tripura district continued this morning and the polling was conducted by the Tripura state election department officials under the supervision of seven nodal officials from Mizoram, state joint chief electoral officer H. Lalengmawia said.
Civil societies here continued to protest the polling in the relief camps saying that they would obstruct counting of votes polled in the relief camps through postal ballots.
They wanted that all the Brus lodged in the relief camps should return to Mizoram and exercise franchise at the place where they were enrolled as voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly