Booked under SC/ST Act for anti-Dalit remarks, Baba Ramdev faces arrest
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Agra: Yoga guru Baba Ramdev, who is openly supporting the BJP in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, may soon be arrested after he was booked under the stringent SC/ST Act for his remarks that Congress leader Rahul Gandhi goes to Dalit homes for "picnic and honeymoon".
Ramdev, who is also under the Election Commission scanner over his objectionable utterances, faces arrests as the law hands out high penalties for practicing or preaching untouchability.
The poll panel has also banned Ramdev from campaigning for the BJP in Himachal Pradesh and Amethi in view of severe protests against him and demands for his arrest.
An FIR was lodged against him in Gorakhpur on Sunday and two more FIRs were filed in Patna and Agra against the yoga guru under the same Act on Monday.
While Bihar food and consumer protection minister Shyam Razak moved a Patna court against Ramdev under the prevention of SC-ST Act, members of Dr BR Ambedkar Bar Association in Agra filed a case in the sessions court under the same law.
A case was also registered against BJP spokesman Shahnawaz Hussain in Agra for backing Ramdev`s objectionable comment.
Baba Ramdev, however, claims that his statement on Rahul Gandhi has been misinterpreted.
"People have interpreted my `honeymoon` comment wrongly. I did not intend to insult Dalits," Ramdev said. "I did not mean to insult Rahul Gandhi or Dalits. He indulges in publicity with photos of him sitting in their homes. If my statement hurt the Dalits, I regret it," Ramdev said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!