Campaign ends for final phase polling in Jharkhand
Ranchi: Campaigning came to an end today in four Lok Sabha seats going to the polls in the third and last phase on April 24 in Jharkhand.
A total 61,04,050 electorate, including 28,84,434 women would exercise their franchise in 7,454 booths in Dhanbad, Dumka, Raj Mahal and Godda constituencies where a total 72 candidates are in the fray.
BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, party president Rajnath Singh, former party president Nitin Gadkari and former Bihar minister Giriraj Singh campaigned for the party, while Union Minister Jairam Ramesh campaigned for Congress. Shibu Soren and Babulal Marandi were star campaigners for JMM and JVM-P respectively.
Soren and Marandi are the principal contestants in Dumka. Also in the fray for the seat are BJP?s Sunil Soren.
Issues like underdevelopment, backwardness, migration and cow slaughter were highlighted during campaigning in the Santhal Pargana region comprising Raj Mahal, Dumka and Godda.
Neglect of Jharia underground fire, power and drinking water crisis, need for rural roads and the closure of Sindri Fertiliser Corporation were the poll issues in Dhanbad.
BJP leader and former Bihar minister Giriraj Singh created controversy by raking up the issue of cow slaughter during a meeting at Deogarh under Godda LS seat on April 18 and alleging that the Centre gave subsidy to beef export while taxing those who reared cows. This led to the filing of an FIR against him.
A second FIR was lodged against him in Jharkhand for another controversial remark in Bokaro on the same day that those opposing Narendra Modi should go to Pakistan.
The largest number of 31 candidates are contesting from Dhanbad, while 16 are contesting from Godda, 14 from Dumka and 11 in Rajmahal.
Congress, which has fielded candidates in Dhanbad and Godda, has left Dumka and Raj Mahal for ruling alliance JMM. Another ruling ally RJD is also supporting JMM.
A total 45,000 security personnel were deployed for this phase.
Barring some pockets of Dumka and Dhanbad, the rest are almost free from the influence of the Maoists.
Jharkhand has 14 Lok sabha seats.
In the first phase polling was held on April 10 for four seats, while polling in the second phase on April 17 was held six seats.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves