Campaigning ends for April 30 polls in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Campaigning for 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh, including Rae Bareli and Lucknow, from where presidents of Congress and BJP, Sonia Gandhi and Rajnath Singh respectively are contesting, came to an end on Monday.
A total of 2.4 crore voters, including 1.3 crore men and 1.09 crore women, will decide the fate of 233 candidates from these 14 constituencies which go to polls on April 30, Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said.
Besides Sonia and Rajnath, Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal and former BJP national president Murli Manohar Joshi are in fray from Kanpur seat, while Union Minister Pradeep Jain Aditya is pitted against former MP CM Uma Bharti from Jhansi.
Union Minister Jitin Prasada is contesting from Dhaurahra while chairman of National SC Commission P L Punia is fighting it out from Barabanki.
The polls will be held for Dhaurahra, Sitapur, Mishrikh, Unnao, Mohanlalganj, Lucknow, Rae Bareli, Kanpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Hamirpur, Banda, Fatehpur and Barabanki constituencies.
As per the 2009 results, Congress had seven of these 14 seats, SP 4, BSP 2 and BJP 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details