Campaigning ends for April 30 polls in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Campaigning for 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh, including Rae Bareli and Lucknow, from where presidents of Congress and BJP, Sonia Gandhi and Rajnath Singh respectively are contesting, came to an end on Monday.
A total of 2.4 crore voters, including 1.3 crore men and 1.09 crore women, will decide the fate of 233 candidates from these 14 constituencies which go to polls on April 30, Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said.
Besides Sonia and Rajnath, Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal and former BJP national president Murli Manohar Joshi are in fray from Kanpur seat, while Union Minister Pradeep Jain Aditya is pitted against former MP CM Uma Bharti from Jhansi.
Union Minister Jitin Prasada is contesting from Dhaurahra while chairman of National SC Commission P L Punia is fighting it out from Barabanki.
The polls will be held for Dhaurahra, Sitapur, Mishrikh, Unnao, Mohanlalganj, Lucknow, Rae Bareli, Kanpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Hamirpur, Banda, Fatehpur and Barabanki constituencies.
As per the 2009 results, Congress had seven of these 14 seats, SP 4, BSP 2 and BJP 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda