Campaigning ends for April 30 polls in Uttar Pradesh
Lucknow: Campaigning for 14 Lok Sabha constituencies in Uttar Pradesh, including Rae Bareli and Lucknow, from where presidents of Congress and BJP, Sonia Gandhi and Rajnath Singh respectively are contesting, came to an end on Monday.
A total of 2.4 crore voters, including 1.3 crore men and 1.09 crore women, will decide the fate of 233 candidates from these 14 constituencies which go to polls on April 30, Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said.
Besides Sonia and Rajnath, Union Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal and former BJP national president Murli Manohar Joshi are in fray from Kanpur seat, while Union Minister Pradeep Jain Aditya is pitted against former MP CM Uma Bharti from Jhansi.
Union Minister Jitin Prasada is contesting from Dhaurahra while chairman of National SC Commission P L Punia is fighting it out from Barabanki.
The polls will be held for Dhaurahra, Sitapur, Mishrikh, Unnao, Mohanlalganj, Lucknow, Rae Bareli, Kanpur, Jalaun, Jhansi, Hamirpur, Banda, Fatehpur and Barabanki constituencies.
As per the 2009 results, Congress had seven of these 14 seats, SP 4, BSP 2 and BJP 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble