Cases pending against seven candidates in Assam
Guwahati: Altogether seven candidates in the fray in the third and final phase of Lok Sabha polls of April 24, including two sitting MPs, have cases pending against them.
AIUDF president and Dhubri sitting MP Badruddin Ajmal and BJP`s sitting Nowgong MP Rajen Gohain have cases pending against them as have former ULFA `Commander` Naba (Hira) Sarania who is contesting as an independent from Kokrajhar.
Another AIUDF candidate Paresh Baishya from Mangaldoi and three independents contesting for the Gauhati seat - Anil Bhagawati, Faruk Aahammed Bhuyan and Benedict Alok Areng too have cases pending against, according to the affidavits filed by the candidates during nomination.
Ajmal`s case under IPC Sections 120(B) (criminal conspiracy), 153(A)(B) (promoting enmity between different groups, imputations, assertions prejudicial to national integration) 109 (abatement) has been taken cognizance of by Kokrajhar chief judicial magistrate in 2012.
The case against him was filed by a person S I Islary alleging that provocative speeches were delivered in Bodoland Territorial Council areas instigating Muslim people to retaliate and inflict atrocities.
A case under sections 500 (defamation), 501(b) (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory), 34 (a criminal act done in furtherance of common intention) of IPC is pending against Gohain in the court of the first class judicial magistrate and is at the stage of recording of statement of the accused.
The case was filed by Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain against Gohain, Agradoot Publishers Limited, Editor of Assamese daily `Dainik Agradoot` Kanak Sen Deka and the daily`s Printer and Publisher B Deka for publication of a news on November 5, 2008 against the minister wherein he was termed as a `jehadi` by the MP.
Sarania, who was released on bail early this year, has several cases, including two CBI cases, pending against him in different courts which are punishable with death or imprisonment for life and fine.
The CBI cases filed under Sections 364(A) (kidnapping for ransom) and 120(B) (criminal conspiracy) are pending in the courts of additional district and sessions judge of Kamrup and was taken cognizance of on February 2, 2010 and December 15, 2012 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India