Cases pending against seven candidates in Assam
Guwahati: Altogether seven candidates in the fray in the third and final phase of Lok Sabha polls of April 24, including two sitting MPs, have cases pending against them.
AIUDF president and Dhubri sitting MP Badruddin Ajmal and BJP`s sitting Nowgong MP Rajen Gohain have cases pending against them as have former ULFA `Commander` Naba (Hira) Sarania who is contesting as an independent from Kokrajhar.
Another AIUDF candidate Paresh Baishya from Mangaldoi and three independents contesting for the Gauhati seat - Anil Bhagawati, Faruk Aahammed Bhuyan and Benedict Alok Areng too have cases pending against, according to the affidavits filed by the candidates during nomination.
Ajmal`s case under IPC Sections 120(B) (criminal conspiracy), 153(A)(B) (promoting enmity between different groups, imputations, assertions prejudicial to national integration) 109 (abatement) has been taken cognizance of by Kokrajhar chief judicial magistrate in 2012.
The case against him was filed by a person S I Islary alleging that provocative speeches were delivered in Bodoland Territorial Council areas instigating Muslim people to retaliate and inflict atrocities.
A case under sections 500 (defamation), 501(b) (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory), 34 (a criminal act done in furtherance of common intention) of IPC is pending against Gohain in the court of the first class judicial magistrate and is at the stage of recording of statement of the accused.
The case was filed by Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain against Gohain, Agradoot Publishers Limited, Editor of Assamese daily `Dainik Agradoot` Kanak Sen Deka and the daily`s Printer and Publisher B Deka for publication of a news on November 5, 2008 against the minister wherein he was termed as a `jehadi` by the MP.
Sarania, who was released on bail early this year, has several cases, including two CBI cases, pending against him in different courts which are punishable with death or imprisonment for life and fine.
The CBI cases filed under Sections 364(A) (kidnapping for ransom) and 120(B) (criminal conspiracy) are pending in the courts of additional district and sessions judge of Kamrup and was taken cognizance of on February 2, 2010 and December 15, 2012 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister