Cases pending against seven candidates in Assam
Guwahati: Altogether seven candidates in the fray in the third and final phase of Lok Sabha polls of April 24, including two sitting MPs, have cases pending against them.
AIUDF president and Dhubri sitting MP Badruddin Ajmal and BJP`s sitting Nowgong MP Rajen Gohain have cases pending against them as have former ULFA `Commander` Naba (Hira) Sarania who is contesting as an independent from Kokrajhar.
Another AIUDF candidate Paresh Baishya from Mangaldoi and three independents contesting for the Gauhati seat - Anil Bhagawati, Faruk Aahammed Bhuyan and Benedict Alok Areng too have cases pending against, according to the affidavits filed by the candidates during nomination.
Ajmal`s case under IPC Sections 120(B) (criminal conspiracy), 153(A)(B) (promoting enmity between different groups, imputations, assertions prejudicial to national integration) 109 (abatement) has been taken cognizance of by Kokrajhar chief judicial magistrate in 2012.
The case against him was filed by a person S I Islary alleging that provocative speeches were delivered in Bodoland Territorial Council areas instigating Muslim people to retaliate and inflict atrocities.
A case under sections 500 (defamation), 501(b) (printing or engraving matter known to be defamatory), 34 (a criminal act done in furtherance of common intention) of IPC is pending against Gohain in the court of the first class judicial magistrate and is at the stage of recording of statement of the accused.
The case was filed by Assam Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain against Gohain, Agradoot Publishers Limited, Editor of Assamese daily `Dainik Agradoot` Kanak Sen Deka and the daily`s Printer and Publisher B Deka for publication of a news on November 5, 2008 against the minister wherein he was termed as a `jehadi` by the MP.
Sarania, who was released on bail early this year, has several cases, including two CBI cases, pending against him in different courts which are punishable with death or imprisonment for life and fine.
The CBI cases filed under Sections 364(A) (kidnapping for ransom) and 120(B) (criminal conspiracy) are pending in the courts of additional district and sessions judge of Kamrup and was taken cognizance of on February 2, 2010 and December 15, 2012 respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’