Chandumajra fighting for political survival against Soni
Anandpur Sahib: SAD leader Prem Singh Chandumajra, who lost most polls he contested lately, is fighting for his political survival against Congress veteran Ambika Soni for the Anandpur Sahib Lok Sabha seat.
Former Union minister Soni (71), a Rajya Sabha member fighting her maiden Lok Sabha contest, is making 64-year-old Chandumajra to slug it hard against her.
Ambika had started her poll campaign almost two weeks after SAD-BJP nominee Chandumajra started his polling campaign. She had replaced Ravneet Singh Bittu, sitting MP, as party candidate from here. Bittu was shifted to Ludhiana.
Her entry in the poll battle made the Congress rank and file united in this constituency. She, being a senior leader, got the support of all factions of Congress and was quick to make up for the loss she had suffered due to commencing campaigning late.
Chandumajra, who is a former MP, was made SAD nominee from here though he had not a strong base in this constituency.
Chandumajra had lost previous three elections, one of the Lok Sabha and two Assembly elections. He lost to Congress` Preneet Kaur from Patiala Lok Sabha in 2009 and lost assembly elections from Lehragaga in 2007 where he was defeated by Rajinder Kaur Bhattal and then lost from Sirhind in 2012 as well.
AAP has also fielded its candiate from here Himmat Singh Shergill, a senior lawyer who contested court cases against accused of 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
The total number of voters are 15,57,188 out of which 7,45,617 are women.
Soni, while claiming to be a native of this land, said that she had initiated many projects in Anandpur Sahib worth over Rs 180 crore during her stint in the UPA.
On the other hand Chandumajra is depending on support from BJP.
However, according to political observers, an anti -incumbency factor against ruling SAD-BJP is also working in his disfavour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!