CM`s stay in Dumka not code violation: Jharkhand CEO
Ranchi: The Election Commission on Wednesday said that Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren`s stay in Dumka was not violation of Model Code of Conduct as he represented the Dumka Assembly seat.
Opposition had yesterday claimed that Soren`s stay in Dumka after election campaigning ended was violation of Model Code of Conduct (MCC).
Referring to protests by BJP and Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantric-JVM), Chief Electoral Officer P K Jajoria said the chief minister`s staying in Dumka after end of the campaigning was not violation of MCC.
"The only thing was that Soren should not campaign," he said.
The chief minister`s father and JMM supremo Shibu Soren is contesting from Dumka LS seat, which goes to poll tomorrow, triggering the din by the BJP and JVM.
BJP state unit president Ravindra Rai yesterday claimed that the chief minister was a voter in Ranchi and not in Dumka.
Rai had said under the Representation of the People Act, the presence of political functionaries, who have been brought from outside the constituency and who are not voters of the constituency, should not continue to remain present in the constituency as their continued presence after campaign ends may undermine the atmosphere for free and fair poll.
Another BJP leader and former chief minister Arjun Munda today said, "He (Soren) should not stay in Dumka as the chief minister`s post is a constitutional seat."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’