Complaint against Ram Vilas Paswan dismissed
Hajipur: The Election Commission today quashed a complaint against LJP President and BJP ally Ram Vilas Paswan that he had concealed the name of his first wife in nomination paper after documents were produced to prove that he had divorced her in 1981 itself.
Paswan`s advocate Umesh Prasad Shahi, who is also one of his proposers, told the District Election officer during hearing of complaint on the LJP President that he had divorced his first wife Rajkumari Devi in 1981 itself.
Shahi told reporters that he submitted documents that the divorce was done with the consent of both and since than there has been no relationship between the LJP President and his first wife.
Complaint was lodged against Paswan by one Kanhaiya Prasad Singh, a proposer of JD(U) nominee Ramsunder Das.
Finding the documentary evidence satisfactory, District Election Officer dismissed complaint against LJP chief and validated his nominations.
After scrutiny, Paswan`s name figured among final list of nominees at Hajipur (SC, Reserved) seat.
District Election Officer Bindo Kumar said that Paswan`s nomination papers have been found valid after scrutiny.
Paswan had mentioned about his second wife in the nomination papers but there was no reference to his first wife.
In the poll affidavit filed by the 67-year-old leader, Paswan has given the name of Reena Paswan in the column meant to declare spouse`s assets but there is no mention of Rajkumari Devi, who has been his wife for over four decades.
This had triggered controversy and his rivals raised the issue against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city