Complaint against Ram Vilas Paswan dismissed
Hajipur: The Election Commission today quashed a complaint against LJP President and BJP ally Ram Vilas Paswan that he had concealed the name of his first wife in nomination paper after documents were produced to prove that he had divorced her in 1981 itself.
Paswan`s advocate Umesh Prasad Shahi, who is also one of his proposers, told the District Election officer during hearing of complaint on the LJP President that he had divorced his first wife Rajkumari Devi in 1981 itself.
Shahi told reporters that he submitted documents that the divorce was done with the consent of both and since than there has been no relationship between the LJP President and his first wife.
Complaint was lodged against Paswan by one Kanhaiya Prasad Singh, a proposer of JD(U) nominee Ramsunder Das.
Finding the documentary evidence satisfactory, District Election Officer dismissed complaint against LJP chief and validated his nominations.
After scrutiny, Paswan`s name figured among final list of nominees at Hajipur (SC, Reserved) seat.
District Election Officer Bindo Kumar said that Paswan`s nomination papers have been found valid after scrutiny.
Paswan had mentioned about his second wife in the nomination papers but there was no reference to his first wife.
In the poll affidavit filed by the 67-year-old leader, Paswan has given the name of Reena Paswan in the column meant to declare spouse`s assets but there is no mention of Rajkumari Devi, who has been his wife for over four decades.
This had triggered controversy and his rivals raised the issue against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- DNA: Analysis on India's naval prowess at International Fleet Review
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part II
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen