Complaint lodged against Meghalaya CM for violation of Model Code
Shillong: The National People`s Party (NPP) has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma charging him with misuse of public transport chopper service for Congress candidate Daryl Momin`s campaign in the Garo Hills region, flouting the Model Code of Conduct.
"We are waiting for a report from the Returning Officer of Tura parliamentary constituency in this regard," state Chief Electoral Officer Prashan Naik told PTI.
The PA Sangma-led NPP has charged Mukul with violating the Model Code of Conduct for his election rallies during the period March 25-April 1.
"Using the only Pawan Hans helicopter (which) is deployed for public transport by state government and being managed by Meghalaya Transport Corporation, solely for election purposes to ferry the chief minister to different meeting venues in Garo Hills districts amounts to abuse of power and misuse of government facilities for election campaign," NPP district president Semford B Sangma said in his complaint with the Returning Officer Pravin Bakshi.
The Chief Minister`s office has taken back the request for chopper services from April 2-4 after the matter was brought to the notice of the EC, the election official said.
The helicopter service covers two trips between Shillong and Guwahati and one trip to Tura almost daily, barring Sunday.
Semford also submitted a copy of the receipt and the copter itinerary to the Returning Officer in Tura in which the Congress has paid Rs 50 lakh for use of the chopper on two days - March 25 and 26.
Eight-time-MP and NPP chief P A Sangma is contesting against Daryl Momin, a political greenhorn and grandson of first chief minister Capt W A Sangma, who the Chief Minister had personally mentored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Syria launched chemical attacks, IS used mustard gas: UN report
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!