Complaint lodged against Meghalaya CM for violation of Model Code
Shillong: The National People`s Party (NPP) has lodged a complaint with the Election Commission against Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma charging him with misuse of public transport chopper service for Congress candidate Daryl Momin`s campaign in the Garo Hills region, flouting the Model Code of Conduct.
"We are waiting for a report from the Returning Officer of Tura parliamentary constituency in this regard," state Chief Electoral Officer Prashan Naik told PTI.
The PA Sangma-led NPP has charged Mukul with violating the Model Code of Conduct for his election rallies during the period March 25-April 1.
"Using the only Pawan Hans helicopter (which) is deployed for public transport by state government and being managed by Meghalaya Transport Corporation, solely for election purposes to ferry the chief minister to different meeting venues in Garo Hills districts amounts to abuse of power and misuse of government facilities for election campaign," NPP district president Semford B Sangma said in his complaint with the Returning Officer Pravin Bakshi.
The Chief Minister`s office has taken back the request for chopper services from April 2-4 after the matter was brought to the notice of the EC, the election official said.
The helicopter service covers two trips between Shillong and Guwahati and one trip to Tura almost daily, barring Sunday.
Semford also submitted a copy of the receipt and the copter itinerary to the Returning Officer in Tura in which the Congress has paid Rs 50 lakh for use of the chopper on two days - March 25 and 26.
Eight-time-MP and NPP chief P A Sangma is contesting against Daryl Momin, a political greenhorn and grandson of first chief minister Capt W A Sangma, who the Chief Minister had personally mentored.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Harsimrat writes to RS chairman for action on Jairam, Renuka
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion