Cong moves EC, accuses BJP in Guj of misusing state machinery
New Delhi: Accusing the Narendra Modi government in Gujarat of misusing the state machinery, Congress on Thursday approached the Election Commission, saying the administration was denying its candidates an equal footing in poll campaigning.
Referring to the detention of Madhusudan Mistry, Congress candidate against Modi, and other party workers when they tried to paste his posters on his rival`s banners at advertisement kiosks, a Congress delegation demanded EC to ensure that the state machinery is not used to benefit BJP.
"The Vadodara incident is a biased stand on the part of the state administration. It is earmarking space for BJP and not for Congress. We had said that if they don`t allow us then we will paste pamphlets and publicity materials in the nearby space available. We wanted a similar space allotted to BJP," Congress leader Abhishek Manu Singhvi said.
Senior party leaders Motilal Vora, Ahmed Patel, Janardan Dwivedi, K C Mittal and Singhvi were part of the delegation.
The Congress delegation also raised the issue of "strange results" in voting machines in Assam`s Jorhat where every button pressed on EVMs resulted in the vote being cast to BJP during a mock drill.
Singhvi said similar flaw was detected during the recent Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh. He said the poll body was asked to take cognisance of the issue without further delay.
"We have called for a full recheck of EVMs in Assam and all over India. It is necessary for free and fair election. The consequences of faulty voting machines will be harmful for democracy," Singhvi said.
The delegation also said EC should have consulted political parties before extending poll timings by two hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing