Cong policies promoting growth of communal forces: Yechury
Kozhikode: Alleging that Congress policies were promoting the growth of communal forces, CPI-M leader Sitaram Yechury today said the need of the hour was a left democratic secular alternative to combat communal threat.
"Supporting the Congress to fight the communal forces is counter-productive because Congress policies are actually promoting the growth of communal forces in the country," he said at a meet-the-press programme here.
Communal forces were exploiting the popular discontent among the people to their advantage, he said.
"It is necessary, if you want to save India from the communal threat, we need to have a left democratic secular alternative" he said.
He took a dig at Delhi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari`s support to Congress, saying the same person had asked Muslims to support the A B Vajpayee-led NDA in 2004 elections.
"When he pronounced support for Vajpayee, BJP lost the election and this time Congress may have to be careful....," he said in a lighter vein.
Attacking BJP, Yechury said it has not even come out with its manifesto so far. On the opinion polls forecasting NDA victory, he asked, "Had anyone predicted that AAP will come to power in Delhi? Did anyone predict that Manmohan Singh will be the Prime Minister in 2004. But he continued to be the Prime Minister for ten years," the CPI-M politburo member said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Deepika Padukone in Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’? Kabir Khan has an answer
- Donald Trump the `presumptive` White House nominee as Cruz crashes out
- Karan Singh Grover’s words for Bipasha Basu will restore your faith in love – Check them out
- Champions League: After knocking out Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid ready to write history
- Premier League triumph: Leicester City's 'magic' hailed globally as the party goes on