Cong willing to work with those fighting communal forces: Rahul
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said Congress was willing to work with those determined to fight communal forces and asked party workers to put their heart and soul in the battle to protect the "real essence" of India.
"It is our responsibility to fight with our heart and soul to protect what we know to be the real essence and spirit of our great nation," Gandhi said in an interview to Congress` Malayalam mouthpiece `Veekshanam`.
He said the party will do well in the elections and he was confident that there will be a Congress-led UPA-III.
"Our position on alliances has always been very clear. We are willing to work with people who share our ideology and political philosophy, who are determined to fight sectarian and communal forces that seek to divide India for narrow political gains," Gandhi said.
In a veiled attack on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, the Congress Vice President said "our opponents want an India in which there is no place for the poor, no place for those with a different religion or ideology."
"An India in which power is centralised in the hands of one individual," he said.
Gandhi hailed the party`s Kerala unit, saying its "grass root workers are hardworking, energetic and capable."
"There are democratic traditions of open debate and discussion in party forums. The voice of the worker is heard and respected. It counts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi