Cong willing to work with those fighting communal forces: Rahul
New Delhi: Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said Congress was willing to work with those determined to fight communal forces and asked party workers to put their heart and soul in the battle to protect the "real essence" of India.
"It is our responsibility to fight with our heart and soul to protect what we know to be the real essence and spirit of our great nation," Gandhi said in an interview to Congress` Malayalam mouthpiece `Veekshanam`.
He said the party will do well in the elections and he was confident that there will be a Congress-led UPA-III.
"Our position on alliances has always been very clear. We are willing to work with people who share our ideology and political philosophy, who are determined to fight sectarian and communal forces that seek to divide India for narrow political gains," Gandhi said.
In a veiled attack on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, the Congress Vice President said "our opponents want an India in which there is no place for the poor, no place for those with a different religion or ideology."
"An India in which power is centralised in the hands of one individual," he said.
Gandhi hailed the party`s Kerala unit, saying its "grass root workers are hardworking, energetic and capable."
"There are democratic traditions of open debate and discussion in party forums. The voice of the worker is heard and respected. It counts," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what