Congress accuses KMC of denying permission to Rahul Gandhi`s meeting
Kolkata: The Congress on Monday alleged the Trinamool Congress-controlled Kolkata Municipal Corporation denied permission to hold an election meeting at Park Circus maidan here on May 8 to be addressed by party vice-president Rahul Gandhi.
"The KMC`s decision not to give permission to the meeting is politically-motivated," state Congress leader Pradip Ghosh alleged.
KMC mayor-in-council (parks) Debasish Kumar, when asked, said that earlier a political party had wanted to hold election meeting at Park Circus, but permission was not granted.
He said, "The EC told KMC that since permission was not given to one party, other parties should also not be given permission to hold meetings there. We will give permission to Congress for holding a meeting on any other ground", he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference