Congress attacks Narendra Modi over `black money` in Gujarat
New Delhi: The Congress Friday attacked BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi over the "illicit liquor trade" in Gujarat, saying it was one of the prime sources of black money.
Law Minister Kapil Sibal also attacked yoga guru Ramdev on the issue of black money, saying he was quiet about matters concerning the western state.
Sibal told reporters at the Congress party office here that Hindutva does not sell as much as liquor in Gujarat.
"Liquor sells more than Hindutva in Gujarat. There is no other product, which sells so fast and without any advertisement in Gujarat other than liquor. Modi knows about it and so do his colleagues," he said.
He said that black money was generated through land, minerals and liquor and Gujarat is perhaps not endowed with minerals "but land and liquor generate huge sums of black money".
"Gujarat government itself estimates excise loss of Rs.3,000 a year. If you calculate excise duty @10 percent, the parallel black money in liquor trade in Gujarat is Rs.30,000 crore and Modi administration benefits from it," Sibal alleged.
The minister asked the Gujarat chief minister whether he would set up a special fast-track court to investigate the generation of black money.
Sibal also alleged that land had been given to industrialist Gautam Adani in the state at throwaway prices.
Quoting a weekly news magazine, Sibal said land was allotted to the Adani group for the Mundra port and a special economic zone at a price ranging from Re.1 to Rs.32 per square metre.
Citing another magazine, he said Adani got a 30-year renewable land lease at the value of 60 paise to Rs.27 per square metre at today`s exchange rate and it was sublet to other companies at a rate of Rs.663 per square metre.
"Isn`t this coruption," he asked.
The Congress also showed a video clip of Ramdev in conversation with the BJP`s Lok Sabha candidate in Alwar, Mahant Chandnath.
In the video apparently recorded just before a press conference, Chandnath is heard telling the yoga guru about difficulty in raising money and Ramdev is heard admonishing him as the cameras are on.
Sibal said BJP`s Modi and LK Advani talk big about unearthing black money.
"Will the BJP withdraw the ticket of the party candidate from Alwar and seek action against him as well as against Ramdev? The double face is now being exposed," Sibal maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon