Congress attacks Narendra Modi over `black money` in Gujarat
New Delhi: The Congress Friday attacked BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi over the "illicit liquor trade" in Gujarat, saying it was one of the prime sources of black money.
Law Minister Kapil Sibal also attacked yoga guru Ramdev on the issue of black money, saying he was quiet about matters concerning the western state.
Sibal told reporters at the Congress party office here that Hindutva does not sell as much as liquor in Gujarat.
"Liquor sells more than Hindutva in Gujarat. There is no other product, which sells so fast and without any advertisement in Gujarat other than liquor. Modi knows about it and so do his colleagues," he said.
He said that black money was generated through land, minerals and liquor and Gujarat is perhaps not endowed with minerals "but land and liquor generate huge sums of black money".
"Gujarat government itself estimates excise loss of Rs.3,000 a year. If you calculate excise duty @10 percent, the parallel black money in liquor trade in Gujarat is Rs.30,000 crore and Modi administration benefits from it," Sibal alleged.
The minister asked the Gujarat chief minister whether he would set up a special fast-track court to investigate the generation of black money.
Sibal also alleged that land had been given to industrialist Gautam Adani in the state at throwaway prices.
Quoting a weekly news magazine, Sibal said land was allotted to the Adani group for the Mundra port and a special economic zone at a price ranging from Re.1 to Rs.32 per square metre.
Citing another magazine, he said Adani got a 30-year renewable land lease at the value of 60 paise to Rs.27 per square metre at today`s exchange rate and it was sublet to other companies at a rate of Rs.663 per square metre.
"Isn`t this coruption," he asked.
The Congress also showed a video clip of Ramdev in conversation with the BJP`s Lok Sabha candidate in Alwar, Mahant Chandnath.
In the video apparently recorded just before a press conference, Chandnath is heard telling the yoga guru about difficulty in raising money and Ramdev is heard admonishing him as the cameras are on.
Sibal said BJP`s Modi and LK Advani talk big about unearthing black money.
"Will the BJP withdraw the ticket of the party candidate from Alwar and seek action against him as well as against Ramdev? The double face is now being exposed," Sibal maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter