Congress dares BJP to challenge EC clean chit to Rahul Gandhi in EVM case
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday dared the BJP to challenge the clean chit given to Rahul Gandhi by the Election Commission on the allegation that he had violated secrecy of voting by entering the EVM enclosure in one of the polling booths in Amethi on May 7.
"As far as Rahul Gandhi EVM issue is concerned, I don`t think in the midst of an election, once the EC has ruled, the BJP has any locus to try to act as an appellate court and tell you why the EC is wrong.
"If they want, they can wait till elections and challenge it in a court of law. I am sure you`ll hear nothing about it after the elections," Congress spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters here while replying to questions on the issue.
The EC today gave a clean chit to Rahul Gandhi with the CEC V S Sampath saying that "No case is made out."
Singhvi said Gandhi was inspecting just a "dud, ineffective, non functional" Electronic Voting Machine.
Taking a dig at the BJP for its consistent attacks on the EC, Singhvi said as far as allegations of EC bias and the opposition party is concerned, "it is a given".
"So long as the EC keeps saying that the BJP is good, right and excellent in everything, the Election Commission is not biased. Otherwise according to the BJP the Election Commission is always biased," Singhvi said.
The Congress leader said the BJP does not realise that it "insults" instititions and constitutional authorities which are the country`s pride around the world.
To attack EC as full of faults in every case where there is a disagreement showed the "mentality" of the BJP in respecting the institutions of this country, he said.
He said the BJP was acting in a "desperate manner" as it had realised that "its bubbles are bursting rapidly all over."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- China unveils world's largest amphibious aircraft
- WATCH: SPINE-CHILLING! Goldberg makes WWE debut, spears The Rock!
- Sharad Pawar's MCA accepts SC verdict in toto, to rewrite constitution
- Ayushmann Khurrana rocks Seattle with his moonwalk, singing! Watch video
- GST bill will continue to rule market sentiments