Congress declares candidates for 3 Assembly by-polls in Bihar
Patna: The Congress in Bihar on Saturday declared its candidate for Maharajganj Assembly seat with a "hope" that ally RJD will not field its nominee but said if Lalu Prasad`s party still decided to contest this and two other seats in the bypolls it was ready for a "friendly" fight.
Congress has nominated Kutul Krishna, state spokesman as its candidate for the bypoll to Maharajganj Assembly seat, its Vice President and media in-charge Prem Chand Mishra said in a statement.
The party has already declared Manoj Kumar Singh as its nominee for Chiraiya Assembly seat in East Champaran and Ravindra Kumar Singh for Sahebpur Kamal in Begusrai district in the by-elections, he said.
Bihar will witness by-elections in five Assembly seats along with Parliamentary elections.
Congress had recently withdrawn its candidates from Baisi in Purnea district and Kochadhaman in Kisanganj in favour of its ally RJD.
Asked if there was seat-sharing understanding between Congress and RJD for the by-elections like in the Parliamentary poll, Mishra told PTI "after withdrawing two candidates to avoid any confusion, we have conveyed our decision to contest three Assembly seats to them and now its up to them what they do."
"If RJD do not field candidates against ours on the three seats we will thank them but in case they decide to fight them we will have friendly contest there," Mishra said.
He, however, said categorically that Congress would contest the three seats "in any case" as it was strong there.
The Congress and RJD had earlier reached seat-sharing agreement for present Lok Sabha elections after prolonged negotiations, which saw many ups and downs.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference