Congress demands votes cast in 1000 booths declared null & void
Kohima: Congress Wednesday alleged that massive proxy voting marred the April 9 Lok Sabha polls in Nagaland and asked the state Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) to declare votes cast in over 1000 polling stations as null and void.
Congress candidate for the lone Lok Sabha seat in the state, K V Pusa interacting with mediapersons here alleged that unprecedented proxy voting took place in the constituencies represented by ruling Nagaland People`s Front (NPF) ministers and parliamentary secretaries.
Pusa said the state Congress party has submitted a representation to the CEO Nagaland requesting him to declare elections in 1034, out of the 2048 polling stations as null and void or hold re-poll in those polling stations.
He also said that the state Congress party would leave for Delhi tomorrow to submit the same representation to the Election Commission.
Pusa alleged that 48 out of 2049 polling stations in the state reportedly have polled hundred per cent while 986 polling stations had over 90 per cent voting.
"Such heavy turnout is ridiculous, as there were hardly handful of electorates who had come out to exercise their franchise in almost all the polling stations," he said.
He alleged despite the model code of conduct issued by the Election Commission, rampant anomalies have come up during the course of election.
Pusa further alleged that even as Electoral Photo Identity (EPIC) card were issued, people were allowed to cast their vote with just the electoral slip.
The Returning Officer for Lok Sabha Polls in Nagaland, Temjen Toy on April 10 said that the scrutiny committee had not recommended re-poll in any of the polling stations, including Ladaigarh polling station in Longleng district where polling could not be held as Assam police did not allow entry of polling officials into the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez