Congress destined to disintegrate in Punjab: Sukhbir
Chandigarh: Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Singh Badal on Sunday said Congress in the state is destined to disintegrate as its all three senior leaders are set to lose the Lok Sabha elections.
Claiming that all the three senior Congress leaders would lose at the hustings, Sukhbir, in a statement here said the contest in Gurdaspur is between SAD-BJP candidate Vinod Khanna and Aam Aadmi Party candidate Sucha Singh.
"Punjab Congress president Partap Singh Bajwa is not even in the race now," he said.
He said in Amritsar Congress candidate Amarinder Singh had refused to state what he had ever done for the constituency other than heaping scorn on the victims of the 1984 riots.
"People want to teach a lesson to the arrogant `raja` (Amarinder)," he said.
He said similarly CLP leader Sunil Jakhar was all but lost in Ferozepur parliamentary constituency as his influence was limited to Abohar constituency alone.
He said with all the "big guns" of the Congress failing in the elections, the party was destined to disintegrate.
"A number of Congressmen, including legislators have joined the SAD during the last two years," he said adding "once the election results are out you will witness more Congressmen joining the SAD."
Stating that the Congress campaign was there for all to see, he said the "national party" failed to hold assembly segment wise rallies.
"The party also failed to hold any big rally and even the rallies held by its central leaders including party president Sonia Gandhi looked like block level worker meetings," he said.
Besides, the senior leaders of the Punjab Congress remained limited to their constituencies after realising they were on a weak wicket was proof that the end of the Punjab Congress was near at hand, he said.
He asserted that the forthcoming elections were all about development and good governance.
"We are for taking Punjab forward under Modi while the Punjab Congress under Partap Singh Bajwa wants to take you back and has nothing to offer except for negative propaganda," he said.
The Deputy chief minister also urged the people to punish the Congress party for "discriminating" against Punjab for the last ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened