Congress hiding in the bunker of secularism, says Narendra Modi
Mumbai: BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi on Monday accused the Congress leadership of hiding itself in the "secularism bunker" to avoid being accountable to the people on their performance.
Addressing a rally at MMRDA ground in suburban Mumbai, Modi said when he raised issues of UPA`s unfulfilled promises regarding unemployment, poverty, hunger, slum-free country, the Congress only countered with the secularism propaganda.
"They hide under the bunker of secularism to save their skin. People are fed up with this worn-out tape record (secularism)," he said.
Taking a dig at Sonia and Rahul Gandhi, Modi said people do not want a government, which is dependent on the oxygen and remote control of "mother and son".
Modi also ridiculed the Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi for his comments of India as a "bee hive" and poverty as "state of mind".
"Rahul bhaiya is on poverty tourism, as he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth and doesn`t know what poverty is. He takes the media along and eats the food of the poor," he said.
The Gujarat chief minister said the Congress will fail to open its account in several states and will not reach double-digit figures.
Beginning his speech in Marathi, Modi remembered Sena supremo late Bal Thackeray on the occasion saying, "We have to ensure that we should make him happy wherever he is."
Stating that railways were the lifeline of Mumbai, Modi said if his government comes to power, he would focus on improving the efficiency of railways and work for its modernisation.
"Why can`t we have a university of railways in the country, where training can be imparted for upgradation of the railways," he asked.
Ridiculing the PMO press conference, Modi said, "I did not
know whether to laugh or cry when I heard that the PM had spoken for 1100 times in the last 10 years."
The PMO had recently told the media stating that PM Manmohan Singh delivered 1,100 speeches in the past 10 years.
He also criticised the government for not utilising even a rupee of the Rs 1,000 crore Nirbhaya Fund meant for safety and security of women.
Speaking at the rally earlier, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray described Rahul Gandhi`s meeting at the same venue yesterday as a "punctured tyre".
"People brought at the rally looked confused as to why they were at the venue in the first place," he said.
Hitting out at the Congress for stating that the Lok Sabha election was to defeat fundamentalist and communal forces, Uddhav said, it was Sonia Gandhi who gave a communal colour to the campaign meeting Imam Bukhari and begging for votes.
Comparing Sena-BJP candidates with that of the Congress-NCP, Uddhav said no saffron alliance candidate has criminal background or corruption charges.
"Look at NCP`s Sunil Tatkare, Chhagan Bhujbal who are neck-deep in corruption or senior NCP leader Padamsinh Patil, who has murder charges against him," he said.
Lashing out at Sharad Pawar for daring him to contest an election, Uddhav said he would do so when he feels like. "But I will not contest like what Pawar does," he said referring to the NCP chief`s controversial ink remarks.
Uddhav said Hindutva is not anti-Muslim, but were against Pakistani and Bangladeshi encroachers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh