Congress lauds PM for leading country through difficult times
New Delhi: As he demits office later this week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s "able stewardship" was hailed by Congress today which underlined that he had led the country through difficult times.
"Singh`s experienced and seasoned stewardship, his personal integrity and ability to lead the country through difficult times is noteworthy and India is proud to have earned so many laurels and respect during the ten years", party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
He said that the party deeply appreciated the "able stewardship" of Singh during UPA-I and UPA-II "when we have carved out a trajectory and a path of clear inclusive growth, stability and social harmony in the country".
Expressing gratitude and heartfelt thanks to the Prime Minister and his team, he wished him good health and happiness.
The AICC`s praise of the Prime Minister came on the eve of a farewell dinner for him hosted by Congress president Sonia Gandhi, just two days before the announcement of results of Lok Sabha elections.
A memento is also expected to be presented to the Prime Minister signed by all members of the Congress Working Committee (CWC) and Union Ministers.
Singh, 81, would be demitting office on May 17. He had earlier this year announced his retirement.
Congress leaders had always spoken of the relationship between the Prime Minister and Gandhi as an ideal division of labour, which saw perfect harmonisation between the government and the party.
AICC has always maintained that there cannot be any better relationship between a party president and a Prime Minister and had often dismissed as "rumours and disinformation" reports of differences between the two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report