Congress lauds PM for leading country through difficult times
New Delhi: As he demits office later this week, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s "able stewardship" was hailed by Congress today which underlined that he had led the country through difficult times.
"Singh`s experienced and seasoned stewardship, his personal integrity and ability to lead the country through difficult times is noteworthy and India is proud to have earned so many laurels and respect during the ten years", party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
He said that the party deeply appreciated the "able stewardship" of Singh during UPA-I and UPA-II "when we have carved out a trajectory and a path of clear inclusive growth, stability and social harmony in the country".
Expressing gratitude and heartfelt thanks to the Prime Minister and his team, he wished him good health and happiness.
The AICC`s praise of the Prime Minister came on the eve of a farewell dinner for him hosted by Congress president Sonia Gandhi, just two days before the announcement of results of Lok Sabha elections.
A memento is also expected to be presented to the Prime Minister signed by all members of the Congress Working Committee (CWC) and Union Ministers.
Singh, 81, would be demitting office on May 17. He had earlier this year announced his retirement.
Congress leaders had always spoken of the relationship between the Prime Minister and Gandhi as an ideal division of labour, which saw perfect harmonisation between the government and the party.
AICC has always maintained that there cannot be any better relationship between a party president and a Prime Minister and had often dismissed as "rumours and disinformation" reports of differences between the two.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price