Congress leader blames outgoing PM Manmohan Singh for poll defeat
Panaji: Congress candidate from North Goa seat in the just-concluded Lok Sabha elections, Ravi Naik, on Tuesday blamed outgoing Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for the party`s debacle, alleging he failed to project achievements of the UPA government before the people.
"(Then) Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh failed to explain the achievements of UPA governments for last 10 years to the people," Naik, who lost to BJP candidate Sripad Naik in North Goa constituency, told reporters here.
Both the Goa seats were won by BJP.
"He (Singh) should have gone to every state informing people about the good things done by the UPA governments (UPA I and UPA II). Congress failed to go to the grass-root level with their achievements," said Naik, who was the state Home Minister in the earlier Digambar Kamat Cabinet.
"During recession, UPA government worked to keep the country`s economy stable. There are several schemes and laws, like Right to Information, introduced by Congress-led government. The Prime Minister should have explained it to the people," the former MP said.
However, Naik stressed that the current results do not indicate end of the Congress in Goa.
"People will vote Congress to power in 2017 state Legislative Assembly Elections. The Manohar Parrikar government`s performance for last two years has been negative which is a factor that will work in favour of Congress," he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof