Congress leaders in Uttarakhand running away from poll battlefield: BJP
Dehradun: Accusing senior Congress leaders of running away from electoral battle field out of the fear of being defeated, Opposition BJP in Uttarakhand on Friday said this was the reason why the ruling party had still not announced its candidates for the five Lok Sabha seats in the hill state.
"Due to their failure in tackling last year`s natural calamity in Uttarakhand, both the ruling Congress and its senior leaders are on the backfoot lacking the courage to face voters. This is why it is not announcing candidates for the five parliamentary seats in the state all of which it had won in 2009," former Lok Sabha MP and Pradesh BJP spokesman Balraj Passi told reporters here.
Despite having three sitting MPs out of the five LS seats in the state (the party lost one to BJP in 2012 bypoll while its sitting MP from Pauri Satpal Maharaj recently defected to BJP), Congress is not announcing its cadidates as "it is aware of strong anti-incumbency wave sweeping the constituencies", he said.
On reports about Vijay Bahuguna`s reluctance to enter the fray from Tehri which he had won in the last general elections, Passi said the former chief minister had visited some of the areas of Tehri and Uttarakashi recently but had to face the ire of the people.
"People are angry with him for the failure of the government headed by him on all fronts during the crisis last year and he does not have the courage to face the electorate," Passi said.
Bahuguna who had expressed his reluctance to contest these polls is being persuaded by the party leadership to enter the fray from Tehri, a seat which was wrested from the Congress by BJP`s Mala Rajyalaxmi Shah in a bypoll held in October 2012.
Accusing both Bahuguna and Harish Rawat governments of failing to deliver, Passi said they could not stop migration of people from the hills in the wake of the calamity in search of livelihood and their party will have to pay the price for their failures at the hustings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'