Congress questions Modi`s `silence` on anti-Gujarati` drive by MNS
Ahmedabad: Opposition Congress on Saturday questioned Narendra Modi`s "silence" over "anti-Gujarati" campaign by MNS chief Raj Thackeray in Maharashtra and accused the BJP`s prime ministerial nominee of doing compromises for the sake of attaining power.
"Chief minister of Gujrat, Narendra Modi, is silent on Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray`s anti-Gujarati campaign in Maharashtra and particularly in Mumbai," said Gujarat unit Congress president Arjun Modhvadia.
Referring to the chief guest status accorded to Raj Thackeray by the state government when the latter had visited Gujarat, Modhvadia said, "Instead of condemning Raj Thackeray`s act of playing dirty politics of `regionalism` and keeping Gujratis in fear, Modi has given him the status of state guest. This reflects his cowardice".
He alleged that Modi was doing "compromises" for power by ignoring the anti-Gujarati campaign of MNS.
"Gujrati people from entire world need to know the kind of relations between MNS` Raj Thackeray and BJP`s PM nominee Narendra Modi and what kind of coalitions they share," Modhvadia said.
Raj Thackeray had backed Modi in his prime ministerial bid even though BJP national president Rajnath Singh had snubbed the MNS for is "unsolicited" support.
Modhvadia said Gujrati people are a "world community" who have participated in development of economy with their enterprising skills.
The Congress response came against the backdrop of MNS objecting to a advertisement displayed on BEST buses in Mumbai by a Gujarati language newspaper.
MNS has alleged that the advertisement which talks about contribution of Gujaratis in financial and intellectual development of Mumbai has "ignored" the contribution of Marathi people.
The MNS`s attack came close on the heels of an editorial in Shiv Sena mouthpiece `Saamna` which had accused Gujaratis of exploiting Mumbai for commercial gains and not observing the Maharashtra Day.
However, Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray has distanced his party from the controversial editorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in