Congress `Sherpas` failed in communication; DMK ungrateful: Ramesh
Hyderabad: Union minister Jairam Ramesh today said the top Congress leaders had failed in political communication and had not aggressively countered BJP`s campaign to project UPA as a corrupt regime.
He also slammed former ally DMK by calling it "ungrateful" and dubbed its then minister T R Baalu as an "unmitigating disaster".
While anti-incumbency is something the Congress has to counter after being in power for ten years, Ramesh said, "We have not been successful in political communication. Political communication does not take place at the last minute. You have to engage in political communication over a period of time. I think the Congress has been hurt by that."
He admitted that 2G, Commonwealth Games and other scandals certainly hurt the Congress prospects.
"I always believed that one of the foundations of politics is communication and communication from the very top...By the `sherpas` alone. So, political communication is very, very important but unfortunately we were found lacking," Ramesh said.
"The BJP mounted an aggressive campaign thanks to CAG and hyperactive judiciary; civil society jumped on to the bandwagon and I think for a period we (Congress) did not show the type of aggression we should have shown," he said.
As for the 2014 elections, Ramesh said he was "somewhat disappointed" with the attitude of the DMK (which did not have an alliance with the Congress in the just concluded polls in Tamil Nadu).
"DMK got a lot out of the Congress. Earlier, DMK government could not have survived and lasted five years without the support of the Congress. The DMK got the portfolios it wanted (in the UPA) and pretty much behaved in the manner they wanted," he said.
In UPA-I, when Baalu was Union Minister for Surface Transport, the National Highway Authority of India, which came under his Ministry, had five chairmen.
"And he (Baalu) was (also) Minister for Environment and Forests...Mr(A) Raja (the then Telecom Minister)...I know what they did," the senior Congress leader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Narsingh Yadav selection over Sushil Kumar for 2016 Rio Olympics was fair: WFI tells HC
- B-schools not doing enough to bridge skills gap: Survey
- BMW recalls 120,000 cars over Takata air bags
- Nine-time champion Rafael Nadal pulls out of French Open with wrist injury
- Politicians must restrain from making comments on 2nd term of Rajan: Assocham