Congress slams Ramdev for `Rahul visits Dalit homes for picnic` remark, seeks apology
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivatava
New Delhi: Congress has slammed Yoga guru Baba Ramdev for saying its vice president Rahul Gandhi visits the houses of Dalits “for picnics and honeymoon” and demanded a public apology from him.
Reacting to Baba Ramdev`s caustic remark on Rahul Gandhi, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh tweeted Saturday morning, "Ramdev`s remark is anti Dalit. He must publicly apologise."
"We would like Narendra Modi and BJP to react to Ramdev`s anti-Dalit remark," Singh`s tweet said.
Ramdev's remark Anti Dalit. He must publicly apologise. We would like Modi and BJP to react to Ramdev's anti Dalit remark.
— digvijaya singh (@digvijaya_28) April 26, 2014
The reaction from Congress came a day after the yoga guru, who is openly supporting the BJP in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, made the objectionable comments while he was in Lucknow.
Ramdev said that BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, and he himself, have been `fakir` by their own choice, unlike Rahul who is not able to find any girl to marry.
Further making highly improper and derogatory comments on the Gandhi scion, Ramdev said that Sonia Gandhi feels that marrying a foreigner would hurt Rahul`s chances of becoming the prime minister; and that is why she wants him to first attain the top post and then marry an outsider.
"Rahul doesn`t wants to marry a `desi` girl, however, he likes going to Dalits places for picnic and honeymoon," the yoga guru said, adding, "If the Congress vice president had married a girl from the particular community, not only the girl would have become rich, but Rahul would have become the PM."
Earlier this month, the yoga guru mocked Rahul and said that the Gandhi scion dreams about Modi and him.
Further hitting out at the Congress vice president, the yoga guru accused Rahul of not having a brain and speaking anything that is told to him.
Heaping praise on the Gujarat Chief Minister and aspirant PM, Ramdev said no minister has done the kind of work Modi has.
Ramdev has been often critical of Rahul. Earlier, he had described the Congress vice president as immature and unintelligent.
Ramdev had said, "Rahul Gandhi is an innocent boy who is misled by the Congress. What can we do with such an innocent person, he is of no use to the country. He is an innocent as well as unintelligent and such a person cannot be the Prime Minister of the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed