Congress urges DEO to act against Modi for model code violation
Vadodara: City Congress party president Narendrakumar Rawat has written a letter to Vadodara district Electoral officer (DEO) and district magistrate demanding action against Narendra Modi who is contesting from Vadodara Lok Sabha seat, for allegedly violating the model code.
"Today all newspapers printed photographs of roads being dug. As per the Election Commission`s notification, damage to public or private property by any party or candidate is a punishable crime and cost of the same has to be borne by the party or candidate," Rawat`s letter said.
"Barricading was provided for Modi`s nomination filing rally and hence you (DEO) are requested to book him for violation of the model code of conduct and also recover the cost of barricading and reconstruction of the entire road which is approximately Rs 20,000 per square metre," his letter said.
Rawat has requested the DEO to ensure that all officers responsible are punished for negligence of duty and damage to public property to favour a BJP candidate.
"Why this barricading is allowed? Who has approved the same? Under what provision such instructions were given and who is the authority of the same? If this was allowed under the excuse of security, then is there any such precedence in the country where roads are barricaded for security even if the person has? `Z` category security and especially for filing nomination? Who are the officers who permitted this extravagance at tax payers` cost," his letter said.
Rawat`s letter said that if there were security concerns, the police commissioner should not have permitted the political roadshow or provided more security personnel and that no candidate in the country has been provided such facilities by the state to file nominations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof