Congress wants EC to act against Ramdev, Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
New Delhi: Buoyed by EC order against Amit Shah and Azam Khan, Congress on Saturday sought action against RSS, yoga guru Ramdev and spritiual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar accusing them of using religion and spreading hatred among communities while campaigning for BJP`s PM candidate Narendra Modi.
In a complaint to the EC, K C Mittal, Secretary, AICC legal department, said action should be initiated against the forces that dominate, dictate and use religion and religious places to provoke voters in Lok Sabha polls.
Reminding the poll body that Modi is a "diehard RSS Pracharak", Mittal told that he has already complained to the EC against RSS, Ramdev and Ravi Shankar.
He said the manner in which all religious institutions and persons are involved in campaign and using religious sentiments for electoral gain is "a gross violation of the Constitution of India and the provisions of Model Code of Conduct."
"All the activities and movements relating to election campaign by all such persons/organizations/groups/associations should be monitored, video-graphed and checked in each of the constituency", he said.
Any such activity conducted by their members, volunteers or supporters, groups or persons to arouse religious or community feeling to seek vote or campaign in the name of religion, caste or community, directly or indirectly, should be booked under the relevant laws.
He said such activities should totally be banned and special observers may be sent to each constituency.
Mittal also wanted the EC to ban a yoga camp being organised by Ramdev on April 16 and 17 in Alwar, Rajasthan, in support of BJP candidate Chand Nath. "This is illegal and against the model code".
Appreciating the EC order barring Amit Shah, leader of BJP and Azam Khan, a Minister in U.P. Government, from campaign in UP for their hate speeches, he said "this is a step in the right direction to maintain peace, tranquility and communal amity but is just the tip of the iceberg."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- When Muslim dies they give 20 lakhs, but Hindu doesn't even get 20,000: Sakshi Maharaj