CPI, CPM to face each other in Vijayawada LS seat
Vijayawada: After a long time, both main Communist parties - CPI and CPM - are contesting from Vijayawada Lok Sabha constituency to assess their strength and motivate their respective cadres.
The Communists, either united or after the split in 1964 (when CPM was formed), have never won Vijayawada since 1952 general elections. However, Harindranath Chattopadhyaya, a Bengali poet, won the election from here as an Independent with their support.
CPI lost in all elections till 1971, the last time it was in the fray. On the other hand, CPM never entered into election fray from this constituency after it was formed.
This time, CPM Krishna District Secretary V Umamaheswara Rao and CPI Rythu Sangham Krishna District Secretary S Nageswara Rao have filed their nominations from the constituency, which will vote on May 7.
They are unlikely to win, but leaders from both parties say their primary aim is to strengthen their base and also assess respective strength in the coastal district.
Nageswara Rao told PTI that this is an opportunity for his party to expose the "failures" of Congress-led UPA Government on all fronts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Eoin Morgan picks Anil Kumble and MS Dhoni in All-time XI, no place for Sachin Tendulkar
- Dominika Cibulkova stuns Agniezka Radwanska, enters Eastbourne final
- Three arrested for forcing Kerala nursing student to drink toilet cleaner
- Copa-Euro showdown: Proposal made for match between Copa America and Euro 2016 winners
- World doping watchdog WADA shuts down Rio Olympic lab