Cricketer Azharuddin among 16 candidates file nomination
Jaipur: Cricketer-turned politician and Congress candidate Mohammed Azharuddin was among 16 candidates who filed their nomination papers on Thursday for Rajasthan`s five Lok Sabha seats where polling will be held on April 24.
Azharuddin filed his nomination papers from the Tonk- Sawaimadhopur Lok Sabha seat to contest against BJP candidate Sukhbir Singh Jaunpuria, an EC official said.
While five candidates filed their papers from Bharatpur, three each from Tonk-Sawaimadhopur and Alwar, and two each from Dausa and Karauli-Dholpur Lok Sabha seats.
Since March 29, when the filing of nominations began, 42 candidates have filed their papers so far for the five seats.
The last date of filing of nominations is April 5 while scrutiny of papers will be held on April 7, and withdrawal of papers would be allowed till April 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics