Daljeet Singh Kohli joining BJP is his personal decision: Shakeel Ahmed
New Delhi: Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed, on Saturday stated that prime minister`s step-brother Daljeet Singh Kohli joining the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) was his personal decision and that the latter was free to join the party.
"Every man is free personally to decide about one`s own choice. In fact, the Prime Minister`s office has said that they were surprised by this decision. I have read from the newspaper that another brother of prime minister has come out and said that they are in total four brothers and six sisters, and that except him all others back the Congress. So, naturally, one is independent to take its own course if that makes him to believe that his decision will help him," Ahmed said.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s step-brother, Daljeet Singh Kohli, joined the BJP. Kohli was present on stage at the joint BJP-Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) rally held in Amritsar on Friday night.
The rally was also attended by Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal. Addressing the gathering, Modi said that Kohli`s decision to join the BJP would increase the party`s strength, and added that it would be his endeavour to forge a close relationship with the latter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees