Day after, Farooq says he has nothing against Modi as person
Srinagar: A day after Farooq Abdullah`s remark that those voting for the BJP prime ministerial nominee should drown in the sea, the Union Minister on Monday said he had nothing against Narendra Modi as a person but was apprehensive about his agenda with regard to Jammu and Kashmir and Muslims.
"What does Modi want? Why are we against him? We are not against him as a person but against his intentions.
"His first intention is to abrogate Article 370 which gives special status to us (Jammu and Kashmir)," the National Conference president told a poll rally at Kangan in Ganderbal district.
Abdullah, the NC candidate for Srinagar Lok Sabha seat, said abrogation of Article 370 would never be acceptable to people of Jammu and Kashmir.
"That (abrogation of the Artice) means our flag will be pulled down, our Constitution annulled and we be made their slaves. The people of Jammu and Kashmir will never accept this," the National Conference president said.
He said the other issue on Modi`s agenda, a cause of concern for Muslims, was BJP`s wish to implement uniform civil code.
"The second issue is very grave. He wants to sideline the Shariah Law (Muslim Personal Law) and enact a uniform civil code which will apply to Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs and everyone else. This is not acceptable to Muslims," Abdullah said.
The NC patriarch urged people to defeat the communal forces and strengthen secularism.
"On one side are communal forces and on the other, those opposing them. Now it is up to you whether you want to strenthen communal forces or secular forces," he said.
Abdullah yesterday stoked a controversy when he said those voting for Modi should drown in the sea, drawing angry reactions from the BJP as well as its prime ministerial candidate.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview