Declare me PM candidate if Modi is truly secular: Azam Khan
Siddarth Nagar: Uttar Pradesh Minister Azam Khan on Thursday took a dig at BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s attempts to play the secular card, saying if Modi was truly secular, he (Azam) should be named the prime ministerial candidate.
Modi had during an election rally yesterday in eastern Uttar Pradesh, said that Hindus and Muslims should fight poverty together.
"If Hindus fights with Muslims and Muslims fight with Hindus, what will both get? No one will be benefited. Both Hindus and Muslims have only one problem - that is poverty. We Hindus and Muslims should unitedly fight poverty," Modi had said.
Khan scoffed at the BJP leader, saying, "The talk of secularism from a person who sponsored riots in Gujarat does not look good."
"If Narendra Modi is truly secular, then he should either declare me or BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi as Prime Ministerial candidate," Khan told reporters after his surprise visit here.
"If Modi talks about secularism, then he should have images of Kaba and Babri Masjid along with (that of) Lord Ram in his rallies," the SP leader said.
He also asked that the electorate should vote for Samajwadi Party candidate from Domariyaganj, Mata Prasad Pandey saying he was a candidate whose integrity and honesty cannot be doubted.
Khan has been barred from participation in campaign by the Election Commission for making provocative speeches.
Polling for Domariyaganj Lok Sabha seat in Uttar Pradesh will be held on May 12 in the final phase of elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!