Delhi voting shatters record of past three decades: EC
New Delhi: A staggering 8.2 million people in Delhi exercised their franchise for 2014 general election Thursday, breaking all records of the past three decades, the Delhi Election Commission chief said Friday.
The turnout in the capital Thursday was 65.05 percent, with the highest 67.13 percent being recorded in the Chandni Chowk parliamentary constituency.
"Thank you Delhi for making us proud and breaking all records of three decades. The total turnout was 65.05 percent in Delhi. It broke the record of the last three decades," Chief Electoral Officer Vijay Dev said.
He added that the voting broke the record of not only the parliamentary but assembly elections too.
As many as "82,65,000 people exercised their franchise and broke the record of the December assembly election in which 78,75,000 cast their vote", Vijay Dev added.
Providing details of the constituency-wise polling, he said Chandni Chowk recorded the highest of 67.13 percent polling as compared to 55.21 percent in 2009.
East Delhi recorded 65.59 percent voting as compared to 53.44 percent in 2009, Northeast Delhi 63.08 percent as compared to 52.39 percent, New Delhi 65.03 percent as compared to 55.83 percent, Northwest Delhi 61.38 percent as compared to 47.44 percent and West Delhi 66.03 percent as compared to 52.47 percent, and South Delhi 62.98 percent, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know