Despite high hope, AAP fails to make impact in Haryana
Chandigarh: Even as it registered a surprising results in Punjab bagging four seats, the Aam Aadmi Party put up a dismal show in neighbouring Haryana, which happens to be the home state of party chief Arvind Kejriwal.
While AAP sprang a surprise in Punjab with its candidates defeating veteran leaders including those from Patiala and Faridkot seats, in Haryana where it was expected to do well in the wake of the party`s performance in the last Delhi Assembly polls, it not only failed to live up to the expectations and but all its candidates also lost their security deposits.
The AAP had fielded candidates, most of them political greenhorns, in all 10 Lok Sabha seats in Haryana, but the party failed to open account and its candidates finished at fourth and fifth positions.
Yogendra Yadav, one of the party`s most prominent faces, contested the polls from Gurgaon constituency. However, he finished a poor fourth bagging a total of 79,452 votes.
Even in Hisar, the home constituency of Kejriwal, bureaucrat-turned-AAP nominee Y S Khyalia garnered just 28,490 votes and finished at number fifth spot.
In Bhiwani-Mahendergarh constituency too, AAP candidate Lalit Aggarwal ended up at fifth spot while in Faridabad, the party candidate Purshottam Dagar finished at fourth spot.
In Rohtak, AAP candidate Naveen Jaihind, who was expected to give good fight to sitting Congress MP Deepinder Singh Hooda, managed just 46,759 votes and ended up at the fourth spot.
Notably, Arvind Kejriwal, who was then a member of the `Team Anna Hazare`, had started his campaign in Haryana during the Hisar Lok Sabha bypolls in 2011. After AAP was formed, he toured the state on few occasions, vigorously raising the issues of corruption and dynastic politics.
While BJP, which won seven of the eight Lok Sabha seats it contested from Haryana and doubled its vote share to 34.7 per cent as compared to 17.21 per cent in 2009 when it failed to win any seat, the AAP managed to get a vote share of 4.2 per cent in the 2014 elections.
Meanwhile, a senior leader of AAP from Haryana said that the party would analyse the reasons why it failed to win any seat from Haryana and rework its strategy as the Assembly polls in the state were due in October.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27