Dist Cong prez quits post after Bajwa`s defeat
Gurdaspur: District Congress committee president Sukhjinder Singh Randhawa today resigned from the post here while owing responsibility of defeat of Punjab party chief Partap Singh Bajwa in the recently-held Lok Sabha polls.
Bajwa was trounced by BJP`s actor-turned-politician Vinod Khanna from the Gurdaspur Lok Sabha seat.
However, he has not resigned as MLA from Dera Baba Nanak Assembly segment which falls in Gurdaspur Parliament constituency from where Khanna took a maximum lead of 25,384 votes.
In a communique to party president Sonia Gandhi, he said that as a party worker and president DCC he had failed to deliver and address the present mood of the people who were "against" the SAD-BJP combine government. The copy of the resignation has also been sent to Bajwa.
Out of the 13 Lok Sabha seats in Punjab, Congress could win only on three, new entrant AAP four, ruling SAD four and its ally BJP two. In 2009 polls, the tally of Congress was eight, SAD 4 and BJP one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley