Don`t write Congress off, it will bounce back: Digvijaya
Bangalore: Congress general secretary Digvijaya Singh Wednesday cautioned the media against writing off the party and asserted it would bounce back as in the past.
"For god`s sake, media should not write us off. We will bounce back as we did in 1977, 1989 and 1999. All political parties go through ups and downs," Digvijaya Singh told reporters here after reviewing the performance of the year-old Congress government in Karnataka.
Trashing exit polls as not believable, he said they would be proved wrong as in the 2004 and 2009 elections.
Exit poll surveys by various watchdogs and news channels Monday indicated that the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance would get a majority in the Lok Sabha and form the next government at the centre under its prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
"If we (Congress) have to sit in the opposition, we will do to prevent the BJP from running amok with its communal agenda and communal politics. We also do not intend to support a Third Front because any coalition government can be formed only under the Congress leadership," Digvijaya Singh said.
Explaining why Congress would not support a Third Front government, he said that such an attempt was made in the past (1996-98) and proved unsuccessful, and only a coalition government led by the Congress could be possible.
Observing that winning or losing elections was part of the democratic game, Digvijaya Singh said whatever be the outcome of the polls, the party would not deviate from its ideology of socialism and secularism, which was distinct from extremism and fundamentalism of the BJP.
"The BJP talks about development in its poll campaign but resorts to communal politics, disturbing the communal harmony and social fabric of the country. We will fight any attempt to divide the people whether we are in government or opposition," he said.
Noting that democracy meant change, Digvijaya Singh said the party had fought the election to form the third UPA government and would do so if it got the opportunity on the basis of the poll verdict.
"Whatever the result, it will have no bearing on the leadership of our vice president (Rahul Gandhi) for whom we have got great regard, respect and confidence in his leadership," he said.
On the party`s prospects in neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, Digvijaya Singh said the Congress was not too hopeful of winning and forming a government in Seemandhra region.
"We hope to form a government in Telangana, but we are not too hopeful in Seemandhra," he said.
Asked why Prime Minister Manmohan Singh did not campaign for the Lok Sabha election as much as party president Sonia Gandhi or Rahul Gandhi did, Digvijaya Singh clarified that though the prime minister was not a mass leader, he did campaign for the party in some states.
"Manmohan Singhji is not a mass leader, he is a professional, an economist. He did campaign in Assam, Maharashtra, Telangana, Uttar Pradesh and West Bengal."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'