EC approves 30 counting centres for Punjab`s 13 LS seats
Chandigarh: The Election Commission (EC) has approved the proposal for setting up of 30 counting centres for 13 parliamentary constituencies in Punjab.
The 30 counting centres will be set up in 23 different cities/towns, officials said today.
Punjab`s Additional Chief Electoral Officer(CEO) Raminder Singh said that as per the directions of EC, one model polling station having facilities like drinking water, chairs, toilets and ramps would be set up in each sub-division.
He said Assistant Returning Officer (ARO) of Sardulgarh Rajdeep Singh Brar has been transferred on account of incompetence and disobedience of orders of Returning Officer.
He said the Chief Secretary has been asked to send a panel of officers for appointment as ARO there.
He said arrangements were being made for webcasting at 750 polling booths.
The additional CEO informed that today three candidates -- Mamta (Sarvjan Samaj Party) from Gurdaspur, Surinder Kumar (Independent) from Bathinda and Iqbal Singh (Republican Party of India) from Fatehgarh Sahib -- have withdrawn their nominations.
With this now 277 candidates are left in the fray in the state. Tomorrow is last date of withdrawal of nomination and elections will be held on April 30.
Besides, till date 2,43,763 licenced weapons have been deposited and 368 absconders have been arrested after imposition of the Model Code of Conduct in the state.
Supreet Singh Gulati, another additional CEO, informed that till date 57 FIRs have been registered regarding violations of MCC throughout the state.
He said that 38,000 posters were also removed and out of which 30,000 were in Ludhiana alone. He said that 110 Kg of Poppy Husk has been recovered in Hoshiarpur, 750 litres of illicit liquor in Gurdaspur and 9,500 bottles of country liquor in Ferozepur.
Meanwhile, Punjab Chief Electoral Officer V K Singh asked the heads/representatives of regional news channels to play an impartial role in ensuring equal coverage without any bias towards any political party or candidate in the ongoing general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das