EC asks Gujarat minister to disclose relations with Ambanis
Ahmedabad: The Election Commission of India has asked the Gujarat Energy and Petroleum Minister Saurabh Patel to disclose his relationship with the Ambani family.
The EC has asked Saurabh Patel to do so, in connection with his complaint against Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal, who had accused him of favouring Reliance, being the "son-in-law of the Ambani family".
"We have asked him to disclose his relationship with the Ambani family," Special Chief Election Officer of the Gujarat state Ashwin Kumar told PTI.
During his four-day "reality check" tour to Gujarat, AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal had alleged that the Modi government had been favouring Mukesh Ambani and included their "son-in-law" Saurabh Patel in the Gujarat state cabinet.
Kejriwal had alleged that Saurabh Patel had been allocated important portfolios like petroleum, petrochemicals, energy and industries to favour the Ambanis and Reliance.
Reacting to this, Saurabh Patel had lodged a complaint before the Election Commission against Kejriwal for personal remarks against him and sought action against the AAP leader for violation of the model code of conduct.
Saurabh Patel could not be reached for his response on the reply sought by the Election Commission.
Patel, who is an MLA from the Akota assembly constituency of Vadodara district, has been been holding the energy and petrochemicals portfolio in the Gujarat government as a minister of state since December 2002.
After the 2012 assembly elections, he was elevated to a cabinet rank minister and given portfolios like energy and petrochemicals, mines and minerals as well as cottage industries.
Patel also oversees Gujarat state departments like printing, stationary, planning, tourism, civil aviation, labour and employment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: Mulayam sacks Ram Gopal Yadav from party for six years; Shivpal says he is corrupt, involved with BJP
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes