EC asks Gujarat minister to disclose relations with Ambanis
Ahmedabad: The Election Commission of India has asked the Gujarat Energy and Petroleum Minister Saurabh Patel to disclose his relationship with the Ambani family.
The EC has asked Saurabh Patel to do so, in connection with his complaint against Aam Aadmi Party chief Arvind Kejriwal, who had accused him of favouring Reliance, being the "son-in-law of the Ambani family".
"We have asked him to disclose his relationship with the Ambani family," Special Chief Election Officer of the Gujarat state Ashwin Kumar told PTI.
During his four-day "reality check" tour to Gujarat, AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal had alleged that the Modi government had been favouring Mukesh Ambani and included their "son-in-law" Saurabh Patel in the Gujarat state cabinet.
Kejriwal had alleged that Saurabh Patel had been allocated important portfolios like petroleum, petrochemicals, energy and industries to favour the Ambanis and Reliance.
Reacting to this, Saurabh Patel had lodged a complaint before the Election Commission against Kejriwal for personal remarks against him and sought action against the AAP leader for violation of the model code of conduct.
Saurabh Patel could not be reached for his response on the reply sought by the Election Commission.
Patel, who is an MLA from the Akota assembly constituency of Vadodara district, has been been holding the energy and petrochemicals portfolio in the Gujarat government as a minister of state since December 2002.
After the 2012 assembly elections, he was elevated to a cabinet rank minister and given portfolios like energy and petrochemicals, mines and minerals as well as cottage industries.
Patel also oversees Gujarat state departments like printing, stationary, planning, tourism, civil aviation, labour and employment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack