EC orders repoll at 33 polling centres in Bihar
Patna: The Election Commission on Friday ordered repoll at 33 polling centres spread across five Lok Sabha constituencies in Bihar, an official said here.
The repoll dates for the centres in Karakat, Aurangabad, Gaya, Nawada and Jamui Lok Sabha constituencies, which went to polls yesterday during the first phase of elections in the state, would be announced later on, Additional Chief Electoral Officer R Lakshmanan said.
"A majority of the centres on which repoll will be conducted are those where polling party could not reach due to security reasons. Complaints from voters, faulty EVMs and clash at two or three booths are the other reasons for repoll," Lakshmanan said.
Jamui, with 19, has the highest number of centres where repoll would be held. It would be followed by Nawada with six, Aurangabad with four as well as Gaya and Karakat with two centres each, he said.
Lakshmanan said the EC has marked deficiencies in the first phase of polls and has issued instructions to remove them in the rest of the five phases of elections in the state. This includes monitoring of polling through SMS.
Aaprt from the five Lok Sabha seats, voting was held yesterday for the Sasarm constituency.
Meanwhile, the nomination process for the fifth phase of elections in the state for Sheohar, Sitamarhi, Muzaffarpur, Maharajganj, Saran, Hajipur and Ujiyarpur constituencies will start tomorrow and the polling will be held on May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead