EC orders repoll in five polling stations in Nagaland
Kohima: The Election Commission (EC) has ordered repolling in five polling stations under Sanis Assembly constituency in Wokha District to be held on May 15, Returning Officer for Lok Sabha elections in Nagaland, Temjen Toy said here on Wednesday.
The RO said EC declared repoll for the five polling stations which went to polls on April 9. The polling stations are 39/10-Lakhuti-I, 39/11-Lakhuti-II, 39/13-Lakhuti-IV, 39/36-Lakhuti-VII and 39/37-Lakhuti-VIII.
Repolling would be held on May 15 (Thursday) between 7 AM and 4 PM, he said.
Meanwhile, the ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) lodged a complaint with the EC against the decision of repolling.
In the complaint, NPF secretary general K G Kenye said the repoll has been ordered despite the positive report of "free and fair" elections by the presiding officers and the Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Wokha.
The repoll had been ordered on "mere allegations" of the Congress, Kenye said adding it was a clear violation of the standard procedures and needed to be revoked.
The party said high voter turnout in the state also exemplified the fact that people of Nagaland have further contributed towards strengthening of democracy.
If people`s participation was questioned and nullified, the reaction might result in "unwanted circumstances" and hinder the democratic process in future, the NPF warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security