EC orders repoll in five polling stations in Nagaland
Kohima: The Election Commission (EC) has ordered repolling in five polling stations under Sanis Assembly constituency in Wokha District to be held on May 15, Returning Officer for Lok Sabha elections in Nagaland, Temjen Toy said here on Wednesday.
The RO said EC declared repoll for the five polling stations which went to polls on April 9. The polling stations are 39/10-Lakhuti-I, 39/11-Lakhuti-II, 39/13-Lakhuti-IV, 39/36-Lakhuti-VII and 39/37-Lakhuti-VIII.
Repolling would be held on May 15 (Thursday) between 7 AM and 4 PM, he said.
Meanwhile, the ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) lodged a complaint with the EC against the decision of repolling.
In the complaint, NPF secretary general K G Kenye said the repoll has been ordered despite the positive report of "free and fair" elections by the presiding officers and the Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Wokha.
The repoll had been ordered on "mere allegations" of the Congress, Kenye said adding it was a clear violation of the standard procedures and needed to be revoked.
The party said high voter turnout in the state also exemplified the fact that people of Nagaland have further contributed towards strengthening of democracy.
If people`s participation was questioned and nullified, the reaction might result in "unwanted circumstances" and hinder the democratic process in future, the NPF warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets