EC rap for Assam minister, MP for hate speech
New Delhi: The Election Commission has expressed "displeasure" over hate speech made by an Assam Cabinet minister and inflammatory statement made by a sitting MP while campaigning for the Lok Sabha elections.
The poll panel also served a show cause notice to another Assam minister for an alleged hate speech.
Expressing "displeasure", the EC warned Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam and All India United Democratic Front MP Badruddin Ajmal to be "more careful" in their conduct in the future.
EC said Islam had violated the provisions of the Model Code of Conduct by saying that "BJP is our religious enemy" and "everybody has to abide by Hindu code" while addressing a public meeting in Hojai on March 23.
It also rapped Ajmal for making communal and inflammatory remarks while addressing the media in Guwahati on March 22.
The EC quoted him as saying that "We will be guilty before Allah" if BJP is allowed to win even a single seat in Assam.
The poll body has also served a show cause notice to another Assam minister Himanta Biswal Sarmah for his alleged remarks in Tezpur on March 29 that "blood of Muslims" flows through pipes in Gujarat.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!