EC rap for Assam minister, MP for hate speech
New Delhi: The Election Commission has expressed "displeasure" over hate speech made by an Assam Cabinet minister and inflammatory statement made by a sitting MP while campaigning for the Lok Sabha elections.
The poll panel also served a show cause notice to another Assam minister for an alleged hate speech.
Expressing "displeasure", the EC warned Assam Food and Civil Supplies Minister Nazrul Islam and All India United Democratic Front MP Badruddin Ajmal to be "more careful" in their conduct in the future.
EC said Islam had violated the provisions of the Model Code of Conduct by saying that "BJP is our religious enemy" and "everybody has to abide by Hindu code" while addressing a public meeting in Hojai on March 23.
It also rapped Ajmal for making communal and inflammatory remarks while addressing the media in Guwahati on March 22.
The EC quoted him as saying that "We will be guilty before Allah" if BJP is allowed to win even a single seat in Assam.
The poll body has also served a show cause notice to another Assam minister Himanta Biswal Sarmah for his alleged remarks in Tezpur on March 29 that "blood of Muslims" flows through pipes in Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PHOTO: After KKR's loss vs SRH, Shah Rukh Khan Tweets heart-wrenching image of cheerleaders crying
- Kardashians offered USD 100 million movie deal?
- Supreme Court to hear Italian government's plea on marine today
- Aww! Nargis Fakhri is missing THESE guys and gals
- Online application process for NEET II from today. Check www.aipmt.nic.in