EC ready for third phase of polling in West Bengal
Kolkata: The deployment of security forces for the elections to nine Lok Sabha seats in West Bengal on April 30 would be double that of the 2011 Assembly polls.
The second phase of the six phase polling in the state would be held at Howrah, Uluberia, Serampore, Hooghly, Arambagh, Burdwan (East), Burdwan-Durgapur, Bolpur and Birbhum Lok Sabha constituencies.
Polling personnel in all the constituencies were on the move to their place of duty along with EVMs and other materials, OSD in the Chief Electoral Officer`s office, Amit Roy Chowdhury said here on Monday.
There would be general observers, expenditure observers, police observers and micro-observers, while arrangements were made for webcasting and live monitoring of sensitive areas, Roy Chowdhury said.
Of the 17,330 polling stations, 173 would run by women, while there would be 270 model polling stations.
Arambagh constituency had the highest number of polling stations (2,053) and Uluberia the lowest (1,788).
Altogether 87 candidates, including 13 women, were in the fray.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’