EC rejects AAP complaints of booth capturing in Amethi
New Delhi: Aam Aadmi Party on Wednesday complained to the Election Commission that several booths in Amethi in UP have been captured, but the poll panel found the charge to be unfounded after verification and said voting there was progressing peacefully.
"The EC had received several complaints of booth capturing in Amethi, which were referred to the state poll authorities. They found no evidence in such complaints. Polling was found to be normal by the poll officials after visiting the booths," Uttar Pradesh Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha told PTI.
The complaints of poll rigging pertained to booth numbers 42, 26, 108, 110, 111 and 117, which were visited by EC officials to verify the allegations, the CEO said.
In Delhi, a senior EC official said, "The observer (senior IAS officer Ramakrishna) visited booth numbers 37 and 38 (in Amethi`s Mehmoodpur area) and found no evidence of capturing. The polling, though, has so far been recorded as low in the booths."
The EC said AAP has also alleged rigging in 13 other booths in Amethi but sector magistrates who visited the booths found that no untoward incidents have taken place.
AAP has also alleged that Congress candidate Rahul Gandhi is moving in Amethi in a cavalcade.
"The DM and SP have informed the Commission that while Gandhi was moving in one vehicle, the others were security and escort vehicles which he is entitled to as per norms," the official said.
He was responding to the issues flagged by AAP through district authorities.
Amethi is among the 15 seats in Uttar Pradesh which went to polls today, where two-time sitting MP Rahul Gandhi is pitted against BJP`s Smriti Irani and AAP`s Kumar Vishwas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui