EC seizes over Rs 81 crore in sixth phase of LS polls
New Delhi: The Election Commission Thursday seized cash over Rs 81 crore from the 12 states which went to poll in the sixth phase of Lok Sabha elections, as part of its efforts to check the use of blackmoney and other ways to influence voters.
The Commission, which has so far seized Rs 269 crore, said that in the 12 states so far the cash seizures done by police has been to the tune of Rs 81.55 crore.
Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi said the police have also seized liquor to the tune of almost 30 lakh litres in the 12 states including Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Assam, Bihar, Chattisgarh, Jharkhand, Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Puducherry and Rajasthan where voting were held today.
"Total drugs and narcotics seized in these states so far cumulative 12,000 kgs," he said. Election Commission Director General Akshay Rout said the Commission has served notices in 582 cases related to paid news and the designated committees have confirmed 321 cases of paid news.
Numbers are highest in Rajasthan. Notices have been served in 168 cases in the state where 115 cases have been confirmed as paid news.
In Maharashtra, notices have been served in 66 cases of paid news. Four cases have been decided as paid news in the state. In Odisha, notices have been issued in 26 cases and decision has been taken in 14 cases of paid news.
In Uttar Pradesh, notices were issued in 61 cases of paid news and all 61 have been confirmed as paid news.
In Andhra Pradesh the total number of cases in which notices have been served are 43 and enquries are on.
In Punjab, notices have been served in 58 cases and 32 have been decided as paid news. Karnataka, the designated committees have served notices in 32 cases and 23 have been confirmed as paid news. In Madhya Pradesh, 9 cases have been confirmed as paid news.
Ten cases of paid news have been confirmed in Jharkhand.
In Odisha, 14 cases of paid news have been confirmed.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know