EC to check footage of Modi nomination filing
Gandhinagar: Poll officials in Gujarat will check the video footage to determine whether Narendra Modi entered Vadodara District Collector`s office, where he filed his nomination on Wednesday, with more supporters than stipulated though prima facie there appears to be no violation of norms.
The Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Gujarat has asked the Vadodara Collector to provide the footage of BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate`s entry into his office.
"After watching the visuals on TV channels, we have asked the District Collector to submit the video on Modi`s entry with his supporters. As per rules, only five people can go with a candidate while filing papers.
"As they were two candidates (Modi & Balkrishna Shukla who filed his papers as dummy BJP candidate), ten people can go with them. Prime facie, there seems to be no violation but we will check the footage," CEO Anita Karwal told reporters.
"I got oral instructions over telephone from the Election Commission to look into the issue," Vadodara Collector Vinod Rao told PTI.
The Collector denied any prima facie breach of poll code. Five people can enter with one candidate, as there was another candidate (Shukla), ten people can be allowed inside, the officer said.
The Election Commission will check the video footage provided by the Collector before deciding on any action.
Earlier, Modi filed his nomination from Vadodara Lok Sabha seat after conducting a road-show in the city where he was greeted by thousands of BJP supporters.
The saffron stalwart was accompanied by a local tea-vendor, Kiran Mahida, and a member of Vadodara`s royal family Shubhanginidevi Raje-Gaekwad apart from two BJP leaders at the time of submitting his papers.
Modi is also contesting election from Varanasi where he is facing AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and local Congress MLA Ajay Rai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM