EC to check footage of Modi nomination filing
Gandhinagar: Poll officials in Gujarat will check the video footage to determine whether Narendra Modi entered Vadodara District Collector`s office, where he filed his nomination on Wednesday, with more supporters than stipulated though prima facie there appears to be no violation of norms.
The Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) of Gujarat has asked the Vadodara Collector to provide the footage of BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate`s entry into his office.
"After watching the visuals on TV channels, we have asked the District Collector to submit the video on Modi`s entry with his supporters. As per rules, only five people can go with a candidate while filing papers.
"As they were two candidates (Modi & Balkrishna Shukla who filed his papers as dummy BJP candidate), ten people can go with them. Prime facie, there seems to be no violation but we will check the footage," CEO Anita Karwal told reporters.
"I got oral instructions over telephone from the Election Commission to look into the issue," Vadodara Collector Vinod Rao told PTI.
The Collector denied any prima facie breach of poll code. Five people can enter with one candidate, as there was another candidate (Shukla), ten people can be allowed inside, the officer said.
The Election Commission will check the video footage provided by the Collector before deciding on any action.
Earlier, Modi filed his nomination from Vadodara Lok Sabha seat after conducting a road-show in the city where he was greeted by thousands of BJP supporters.
The saffron stalwart was accompanied by a local tea-vendor, Kiran Mahida, and a member of Vadodara`s royal family Shubhanginidevi Raje-Gaekwad apart from two BJP leaders at the time of submitting his papers.
Modi is also contesting election from Varanasi where he is facing AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal and local Congress MLA Ajay Rai.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents