EC to scan Mamata Banerjee`s poll speeches
Kolkata: The Election Commission on Wednesday asked for the CDs of all election meetings of Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee in which she attacked the poll panel.
The directive to the state`s Chief Electoral Officer, Sunil Gupta, came barely a day after the state government reluctantly agreed to abide by the EC`s order of transfer of top officials on election duty after initial resistance.
"We have been asked to collect the CDs of all meetings of the chief minister in the last few days in Hooghly and Burdwan districts. We will collect and send them to the EC for scrutiny and necessary action," Gupta said here today.
Gupta said he had already asked the DMs concerned to collect the CDs of all the meetings the CM addressed and send them to the CEO`s office immediately.
In several election rallies in the districts over the last two days, Banerjee launched a scathing attack on the poll body and even targeted some of its officials for giving the directive on removal of seven officials assigned to poll duty.
Banerjee had not only condemned the EC for, what she alleged, showing partiality in giving the order, but even dared the poll panel to implement its order.
Gupta said he would send the CDs to the EC headquarters which would scrutinise them and take necessary action.
Meanwhile, the CEO also asked the DM of Howrah district for his report on burning of an effigy of the Deputy Election Commissioner Vinod Zutshi by workers of a political party near the state secretariat.
"The report will also be scanned and appropriate action taken," Gupta said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference